4.28.2006

Playing Possum


Tonight when Reese, our chihuahua, went out for her last potty break of the day, she started going ballistic. She was barking so much, I had to go see what was going on before she woke up Cade. Well, she had found a little possum in our courtyard. It was about 10" long and was scared to death, huddled in a corner. I actually kinda felt sorry for it. Poor little guy. But don't worry -- in typical David fashion, we've promptly did a little research on your friendly neighborhood possum...and I've accummulated some of those facts, right here, for you.

#1 - Possums are North America's only marsupial.
#2 - Possums are "nature's little santitation engineer"...meaning they eat mice, rats, spiders, snails, slugs and other pesky little dudes.
#3 - Possums aren't aggressive against humans or pets...unless cornered. Woops.
#4 - Possums typically don't carry diseases like Parvo or Rabies.
#5 - Possums like to eat ripe fruit.
#6 - Possums, like racoons, are attracted by our mounds of trash bags.
#7 - Possums are often mistaken for rats. At first, I thought it was a rat. Scary.
#8 - Chihuahuas notice possums very quickly.
#9 - David is scared of possums; however, Brooks tries to get as close as possible to capture good photographs.
#10 - We can rest easy, now, knowing a possum is keeping our property safe.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh YUCK! You are much braver than me to get so close to shoot a photo. I would've grabbed for the broom!

Derek and Kelsey said...

He's cute!! You should have captured him and kept him as a pet! I bet Reese would have liked him after a while. :)

Elizabeth Chism said...

I think I saw his relative the other day crossing Santa Fe...he was a HUGE possum!!! And of course, Brooks was the one to investigate...weren't you the one who collected special jars of who knows what from Uncle Phil??? :)
~kim

Brice said...

Hey, Williamses!
Will you guys be around wknd of June 2? We'll be in town for Brett's grad. Hope to see you (and meet Cade)!

Anonymous said...

Well, I've always loved OPPOSUMS. But then again, I just like the word marsupial. Did you check out the National Opposum website? Wow..........

jenn

Anonymous said...

Cute possum (that's Texan for Opposum).
We actually had an armadillo hanging out in our back yard last week. I didn't take a picture.