5.14.2007

The 2 Week Mark -- Still Alive

Well, I wish I could say that things have started to run smoothly again at the 2 week mark, but I'd be lying. On Saturday, I had to go to the emergency room because (warning: the following might be TMI) my fever climbed to 103 degrees in a matter of an hour and ... yes... my right boob felt like it was going to fall off it hurt so bad. It was so swollen and tender and BRIGHT RED. I feel wierd putting that on a blog, but it's the truth. I was in so much pain and my fever was so high, the doc said to go to the ER since it was Saturday. It is what they call "mastitis" which is a severe breast infection. It's a lot of pain and lasts for up to a week, but it apparently is extremely treatable and I can continue nursing through it, which I am glad about because nursing is actually going really well this time around. I would've hated to have to quit b/c of something out of my control. So I have been bedridden for 48 hours and am just starting to feel a tad bit better, but I wouldn't have told you that last night at about 10:30pm when my temperature soared again to 103.5. GEEZ!!!!!

But get this everybody -- MARIN SLEPT FOR 7 HOURS STRAIGHT LAST NIGHT. Holy gosh. I have never heard of a 2 week old that could do that. She geared up for it for sure by eating non-stop from about 4:30pm to 9pm and didn't sleep hardly at all during that stretch, but I certainly didn't expect her to sleep that long. Somehow, I guess God knew I needed her to since I was so severely ill... hope that's a repeat performance someday. Cade didn't do that until he was months and months old... wow. I did pray while I was pregnant for an easier baby than Cade was and apparently I got it. I don't know what it's like to have a baby that doesn't scream constantly, fuss while eating, hardly sleep and require constant bouncing/walking/rocking. It's bizarre. I feel blessed to have had the easy baby as the second baby. But of course, Cade's great. I don't mean to sound like I didn't love him to pieces anyway... ;)

I'll post more pics when I take some... it's been a bit much the last few days to try and snapshot anything. Plus... she sleeps all the time! Yippee!!! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, oh my goodness!! I just read your blog and if I'd known sooner, I would have already called you by now!! I cannot believe what you have gone through. I'm so sorry!!! I'm calling you tomorrow morning to check in.

Way to go, Marin!! You are one good baby!! Maybe you can give Natalie some tips!! Brooks, what a blessing to get to sleep 7 hours in a row so early!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Brooks! Aaran from Saatchi (Jenn gave me your blog address). Long time, no talk. Congrats! Marin is beautiful, and what a great name! We are also a family of four now. Carter is 4.5 months old. Cora, as you know, is the same age as Cade. We didn't intend to have them so close together, but they are wonderful! Carter has not been as easy as Cora was, so ours are the reverse of yours -- easy one first. I'm not sure I would have had a second if I'd had Carter first (HA), so I admire you! He's gotten much easier in the last couple of months, thankfully.

I, too, had some lovely fun this time around in labor and delivery. Of course, my last time wasn't so great either. I certainly empathize with you about the IV difficulties. They finally got mine in on the fifth try! It was so awful! Also, they had to redo my epidural, and even then it didn't work great. There's more, but I'll stop for now.

I'm so sorry about all the drama after Marin was born. Wow!

By the way, I still haven't ventured out alone with our two, unless you want to count when I pick them up from my parents' house after work. You are brave to even consider it!

Well, I just had to comment after reading your blog. Best of luck with everything. I'm so glad all is well with you and yours.