9.28.2007

The Potty

Ladies and gentlemen -- as of this week, my son, Cade, is potty-trained!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited and can't believe that he trained as easily as he did. Typically, boys are harder than girls and I was ready for a battle, but he basically "got it" in half a day. AMAZING. Here's the rundown --

My friend, Amber, and I decided to potty train both our kids this week. She has a little girl, Abbie, who is exactly Cade's age. At 2 1/2, we knew they were ready. It was just a matter of us deciding to be consistent and do it. So this was the week.

The first day, I literally stripped Cade down naked all day. That way, he could see when he went and there was no diaper/pull-up to allow him to be lazy and not see the consequences of not going in the potty. And I thought underwear would just be one more step to deal with when he had to go. He peed in the house, he peed outside, he peed in the garage. Everywhere except the potty. Then, I loaded him up on juice and we sat on his little potty in front of the TV watching Dora and I basically didn't let him get up. I knew he had to go b/c he had so much liquid in him. He went in the potty and just got it. From then on, no accidents! And that was 3 days ago.

But then there's the poop issue. Well, Cade thinks it's fun to go poo poo in the garage, apparently. The first day, he pooped in the garage and came into the house and handed it to me!!!! GROSS! So goes the glories of being a mom. Funny thing is, I have had Cade's poop on me too many times to count since he was born, so it really wasn't even that big of a deal. I don't know if that's a good or a bad place to be as a mom.... hmmmm... Anyway, then the next day, he did it in there again. Then the next day -- AGAIN. But today, I dead bolted the doors and forbid him to go in the garage. It is like it was his hiding place to do it and avoid the potty. So he went in the potty! I am so proud of him.

I have even been brave enough to venture out beyond the four walls of my home. We've gone out to eat, to the grocery store, to the doctor (he has a cold), out to eat again... anyway... he has had no accidents and has even asked us to use the "store potty" or the "restraurant potty" and he goes in it! I am just so excited.

So as of today, we are officially diaper-free (except for bedtime and naptime... we'll see when that comes). So now I only have to change Marin's diapers. What a great, great week. But I was so lucky, Cade just caught on and basically trained himself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, way to go Cade (and Brooks, too!) That is so awesome and a mother's dream!! I have to admit, I'm a little jealous. :) We're not ready to try potty training yet. We'll probably wait until after Christmas, unless Todd totally surprises me and wants to do it sooner.

By the way - if you like the little robeez shoes, Dillard's has them on sale tomorrow (Sunday) for 50% off PLUS an additional 30% off. I've NEVER seen them on sale before! I bought Natalie 1 pair and then bought 3 additional pairs to sell on ebay. They ended up being less than $10 per pair.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that it is Dillard's NorthPark. (They might have them at other stores, but that is where I bought them.)

Mandy and Joseph said...

Way to go Cade and Brooks! What a smart little guy. I've heard horror stories about potty training boys so maybe I'll have to share your strategy with the other mommies I know :).

Shauna said...

That is awesome! I am going to have Mission Macy in the next week or two. I think it will come fast for her. It just takes me buckling down and committing to it!